Welfare recipients go on a stealing rampage in Walmart

Comments and questions

Welfare recipients go on a stealing rampage in Walmart

Postby Brandon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:14 pm

http://gma.yahoo.com/walmart-shelves-emptied-food-stamp-shopping-spree-171042474--abc-news-topstories.html

Walmart Shelves Emptied in Food Stamp Shopping Spree

(Welfare recipients go on a stealing rampage and clean out Walmart)

:roll:

By SUSANNA KIM | Good Morning America

Louisiana officials are trying to decide what to do about a massive shopping spree by families on food stamps when a power outage lifted the caps on their spending cards.

Police were called to Walmart locations in Mansfield, La., and Springhill, La., on Saturday as shoppers cleaned out store shelves.

Springhill Police Chief Will Lynd said some customers were pushing more food than any household could store in a refrigerator and freezer.

"I saw people drag out eight to ten grocery carts," he said.

Lynd said customers were "not unruly." There were no fights or arrests made, but the scene was still chaotic, he said.

"It was definitely worse than Black Friday. It was worse than anything we had ever seen in this town," Lynd said of Springhill, which is near the border with Arkansas. "There was no food left on any of the shelves, and no meat left. The grocery part of Walmart was totally decimated."

He said one customer made about $700 in food purchases.

Read More: Walmart Drops Price of the iPhone 5c to $45 After Best Buy's Offer

Lynd said that around 9 p.m. CT on Saturday, a Walmart employee made an announcement on the intercom saying that the computer system had been restored and card limits had returned. At that time, customers left shopping carts full of food in store aisles.

"At that point in time, they knew the jig was up and they couldn't purchase what they wanted to," Lynd said.

In the Walmart store in Mansfield, about 80 miles south of Springhill, staff temporarily closed the store to new customers to prevent a fire hazard with the existing number of shoppers.

Mansfield's chief of police Gary Hobbs said no arrests were made and there were no incidents besides customers "pushing and shoving." Hobbs said there were reports that customers were checking out with six to eight shopping carts, then returning later in the day to purchase more.

Unlike Walmart, other grocery stores in town told customers they would not accept EBT cards until the card limits were evident again, Hobbs said.

The Department of Agriculture, which administers the food stamp program, said the issue was not related to the government shutdown.

The Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services' spokesman Trey Williams said the agency is meeting today to discuss how to handle the issue.

The shopping frenzy was triggered when the Electronic Benefits Transfer system went down because a back-up generator failed at 11 a.m. EST Saturday during a regularly-scheduled test, according to Xerox, a vendor for the EBT system and based in Norwalk, Conn.

The outage allowed recipients to spend unlimited amounts of money because the spending limit was removed for their EBT cards.

The EBT system was affected in 17 states, where individuals and households access programs like Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, and other programs.

"The loss of power triggered a preventative shutdown of the EBT system to protect its overall integrity," according to a statement from Xerox spokesman Kevin Lightfoot. "While the system was restored within 22 minutes, the network experienced connectivity issues until our technical staff were able to re-establish full access just before 10 p.m. EST."

Lynd said the Springhill Walmart store manager called police on Saturday morning to ask for advice over crowd control. When he arrived, Lynd told the Walmart staff that they had the right to refuse service if they chose to, but Walmart's corporate office advised the store to allow customers to purchase what they wanted with the cards.

A spokeswoman for Walmart, Kayla Whaling, said the frenzied shopping in Louisiana "was isolated and is not representative of the what our stores experienced across the country."

Xerox said that it continues to "investigate the cause of the issue so we can take steps to ensure a similar interruption does not re-occur."

A spokeswoman for Xerox, Jennifer Wasmer, said, "If there is an EBT system outage, there is an agreed and documented process for retailers to follow. The process includes a 'per cardholder, per day' spending limit that is set at a state level."

In Louisiana, the limit is $50 per cardholder per day, she said.

"The emergency process allows retailers to meet the critical food needs of cardholders even if the system is temporarily down," she said.

When asked about reports that Walmart customers were spending hundreds of dollars more than their account limits, Wasmer said ABC News would have to speak to retailers.

Walmart did not respond to a question about whether its Louisiana stores recognized a $50 limit.

-----------

COMMENTS

No pictures? That mob scene should be pretty revealing. Probably why they aren't showing any.

This is a federal program, it should be a federal offense.

Is anyone truly surprised, that individuals waiting for a perpetual handout, would show a modicum of self restrain? Surely not. Honesty has gone the way of the Dinosaur. But don't say anything, it wouldn't be politically correct.

Amazing how personal responsibility is gone in most of society today.

It shouldn't be hard to find these people. Follow the electronic fingerprint left when they swipped the card.

Hm, I could be mistaken, but seems to me that if you use your privilege of Government Assistance to engage in criminal endeavor, you LOSE that privilege. Dozens here should permanently lose ANY AND ALL welfare.

All these people knew they what they were was wrong. They decided that taking what was not theirs was ok. I think that's called stealing. In their fuzzy minds, they somehow decided that if the government cards failed to stop them from taking what was not rightfully theirs, then it was the governments fault they were taking the stuff, not theirs. Like the government forced them to take this stuff. They are just thieves and they need to be treated as such.

It shows people, especially the "I deserve this" mentality. Will take, steal, deceive where ever they can and have no consciense about doing it.

Another fine example of the #$%$ that welfare dollars (tax dollars of working Americans) go to support. Welfare is a moral hazard to society and needs to be restrained and limited!! Let them finally be responsible for the choices they made and I bet most of them will find a way to make it in life because let's face it if the welfare dollars stopped then they would have to work in order to survive! You ask what about the children as most liberals love to do....I say if their parents can't care for them then put them in foster care. Chances are they'd be much better off anyway!

Not surprised , typical trash that took advantage of the situation, not caring that when they did that , we the tax payers who work for a living are the ones that pay for it, like shoplifting. It should be easy to trace the ones that did it and put a negative balance on their card until it is all paid back. No wonder this country has gone down the tubes, the govt. is supporting and enabling animals like that. Wake up to all this fraud. !!!

Simple solution for some of this. All those that went on the shopping spree and the guvment they know who they are and what they bought, then put in a negative balance for what they took and when they got their "assistance" early and when they get the EBT card filled again next week or month or whatever it is still negative balance until it becomes positive at some time in the future. Those that simply stole the goods need to be prosecuted and if convicted have their EBT card privileges revoked. If all this goes unpunished then the government is endorsing stealing. Any bill should be submitted to the company where the glitch originated. Then the taxpayer wins. They get the early dispersed stolen money back and they also get the company to foot the bill. Works for me.

Its stealing ! no if and or buts is flat out taking what you know you don't have the money to pay for. With the EBT card there should be ways to track how much is spent on it. I think they should have to pay it back. IF MY credit card suddenly had no limit on it does that mean I can go charge it up and not have to pay for anything but keep it all ? No it doesn't so it should be the same for this.

Mob mentality. The application for food stamps states a recipient is financially responsible for reimbursing the government for errors in benefits overages. They will have to pay it all back.

There is no personal responsibility left. They knew it was a glitch but still spending massive money that is not theirs. These freeloader need to be punished. And Walmart, you want the money just as bad. You too knowing that money was not suppost to be spend. Yet you took it. You let it happened. If the state refused to pay, I will certainly agree with that!

I thought ''the ''jig'' is up comment'' fairly appropriate to describe the situation!! $50 per day -- equals about $1500 per month -- gotta get me one of those cards -- now all I have to do is have five girlfriends with four or five kids each -- plus knock up a couple on my own -- yeah -- I think this will work -- as for the ''bill'' for all of this -- ''Zerox'' has the contract -- I am sure they can afford it -- ''the buck stops here'' is their motto -- or should be!!!

Amazing how these people knew what they were doing was wrong but didn't care enough to do the right thing. They shouldn't be allowed to use their cards until their balance is paid in full and if they had that 800.00 worth of food then that shoudl last them awhile. Shouldnt be able to buy steaks and goods that I work hard to buy with my own money. People can live off veggies and beans and rice and they shouldnt be allowed to buy sugar snacks..If they are using the government to live off of then why doesnt the government tell them what to eat. Make them healthy for a healthier America. But they wont bc then that would be taking away their freedoms. Well , they are doing that to us Americans that work hard at one job and people like me with 2 jobs to get by. If I can work two then some can work one.

What a bunch of #$%$.B. bags! Let see, if my bank account said I have 200K and I know I have really only have 20K. Should I go spend it, NO!!! I will owe all that money. This is what's wrong with our society. I was a Democrat and believed in social programs, but this needs to end. I'm going Independent. Every single person that did this should go to jail for fraud and never receive Food Stamps.

I never cease to be amazed at the behavior of some people. The Food Stamp Program was designed to help people who were having problems. I find that to be a very charitable thing to do, yet you will always find people who will take advantage of the system. They have a sense of entitlement that they are owed food stamps.
The solution this is very simple. It is easy enough to trace the people and their expenditures. If people choose to spend several months’ worth of food stamps in one shopping spree, have at it but make it last because that will be all you get...Bon appetite.
I would also question Wal*Marts decision to continue with obvious fraudulent use of the EBT cards. I think an appropriate punishment for aiding that fraud would to deny Wal*Mart the right to accept food stamps for maybe 6 months. That would definitely cut into their profits and perhaps teach them to be more responsible.

well i would think they should trace back those purchases to the card holders and make them pay it back with money or prison time... and than now allow them to ever have a food stamp card again. taking advantage of a system like that. its supposed to help you get by and what do you do, you take advantage of it. thats like asking your alzheimers grandparent for a large amount of money every day/week .. its just sad. those ppl should be ashamed!

"The Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services' spokesman Trey Williams said the agency is meeting today to discuss how to handle the issue. "

Um, really?! I think the solution is obvious. Don't fund their cards at all OR fund them with just enough to cover perishable items like produce and milk (and restrict authorization for just those types of items).

It's sad when people do something just because they can and don't think about whether or not it's actually right or wrong! I understand that there are people in need and I believe in helping those people. But there is a dangerous slope that leads people to a sense of entitlement. Not all are affected by it, but it seems like many are.

Once again these people were acting like politicians, just because our government is living in a take you can all world, don't mean these people should follow them. Now many of these people will be asking why there free food has been cut off from them. And it should be cut off for the time that it takes to recover what they stole and with a penalty applied to it for a two month period of waiting time for their free food to be reinstated to them, this would teach them to do the right thing the next time.

The transactions are tracked on their accounts. Most likely they will have a negative balance and it will be paid off with their normal monthly contributions. Kinda funny though. Its free money to them and that alone is still not good enough. Try working to pay for your groceries like the rest of us.

And the sad part about them leaving carts of food standing in the aisles is that perishables have to be thrown out per company policy. But then that's what our me first, better to be a taker than a giver, gimme-gimme society is all about these days. Lived in that neck of the woods for a few years, loved the area, loved the people, but I have to tell you you'd be hard pressed to find anyone starving. To the contrary, most would do well to miss a few meals.

These scammers should lose their food stamp benefits for at least a year and if they can't feed their children the state should take them away. Walmart should not be paid by the state, they knew there was a problem and they let these bums keep buying food which ofcourse they knew was probably going to be resold for cash. Walmart should no longer be allowed to take food stamps, all the other area stores were responsible enough to not accept the cards during that time. Walmart took advantage of the problem and the taxpayers. Shame.
Close the world, txEn eht nepO.
Brandon
Site Admin

Re: Welfare recipients go on a stealing rampage in Walmart

Postby MedicoNisaba » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:51 am

The system WILL notice that these degenerate thieves have intentionally overdrawn their undeserved EBT cards, so HOPEFULLY they'll not only have any and ALL benefits revoked, but also be jailed for grand theft. Probably not though; this administration depends on scumbags for voting support as they are the governments' key demographic.

This was no accident, it was done to frighten people. Some say that within 72 hours of the food stamps being cut off EVERY major city will descend into riots; I do believe this to be true.

These animals should all be euthanized.
MedicoNisaba

Postby dslayermo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:54 am

MedicoNisaba wrote:The system WILL notice that these degenerate thieves have intentionally overdrawn their undeserved EBT cards, so HOPEFULLY they'll not only have any and ALL benefits revoked, but also be jailed for grand theft. Probably not though; this administration depends on scumbags for voting support as they are the governments' key demographic.

This was no accident, it was done to frighten people. Some say that within 72 hours of the food stamps being cut off EVERY major city will descend into riots; I do believe this to be true.

On a roll today!!!! Al-tho... These animals should all be euthanized I think that is the plan, literally.

Hey, they turned the spellcheck back on... YAY.
dslayermo

Postby Brandon » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:39 pm

dslayermo wrote:
MedicoNisaba wrote:The system WILL notice that these degenerate thieves have intentionally overdrawn their undeserved EBT cards, so HOPEFULLY they'll not only have any and ALL benefits revoked, but also be jailed for grand theft. Probably not though; this administration depends on scumbags for voting support as they are the governments' key demographic.

On a roll today!!!! Al-tho... These animals should all be euthanized I think that is the plan, literally.

Hey, they turned the spellcheck back on... YAY.

A SERIOUS ROLL today!!!! LOLOLOLOLOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brandon
Site Admin

Postby dslayermo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:22 pm

I keep thinking about this and the immigration issue.

Anyone looking at the sat maps can see that overpopulation and resource depletion is bullshit. There's more idle, farmable ground than you could ever put into production and utilize. If they can put ownership on gene patents, water rights, etc. we are all going to be immigrants, just a matter of when your name gets pulled out of the hat.

Look at the sat maps again and tell me the cities don't look like plantations and very easily blockaded via the roads and bridges... no one gets in or out. It would not take much to force an entire city like St. Louis into submission in 30 days just by blockading the roads.

They will create the conditions for forced mass migrations, look at history again, they have been doing it for at least 300 years by my count. Look at the collapse of the U.S.S.R and how it was enginneered and who ended up with the wealth and ownership of manufacturing plants, farms, etc. Then follow the immigrant populations that left...
These nations(polititians) create the conditions that bring all of us into perpetual conflict.
They trade their malcontents, surplus genders, etc. Slave trading on a world wide scale.

With HAARP and the chemtrailing, droughts, famine, relocation, will become a way of life for those not in control, meaning 99% of all of us.

Just be a matter of when they need a crisis to deflect attention from something they did or as make work, etc. just to keep the population busy. A way to keep the economy afloat via destruction, redristribution and rebuilding.
"They" have been doing this for a very very long time. Set up a time line for 300 years just in America, then add the immigration waves, the crashing of the economy(depressions, stock crashes), war, pandemic after, massive new immigrant wave, rebuilding faze. When you put it on paper it almost looks like a musical cadence they follow.

And it is ALL manufactured conflict... ALL.

You can do this with almost any sizeable nation.
dslayermo

Postby Brandon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:04 am

dslayermo wrote:I keep thinking about this and the immigration issue.

Anyone looking at the sat maps can see that overpopulation and resource depletion is bullshit. There's more idle, farmable ground than you could ever put into production and utilize. If they can put ownership on gene patents, water rights, etc. we are all going to be immigrants, just a matter of when your name gets pulled out of the hat.

Look at the sat maps again and tell me the cities don't look like plantations and very easily blockaded via the roads and bridges... no one gets in or out. It would not take much to force an entire city like St. Louis into submission in 30 days just by blockading the roads.

They will create the conditions for forced mass migrations, look at history again, they have been doing it for at least 300 years by my count. Look at the collapse of the U.S.S.R and how it was enginneered and who ended up with the wealth and ownership of manufacturing plants, farms, etc. Then follow the immigrant populations that left...
These nations(polititians) create the conditions that bring all of us into perpetual conflict.
They trade their malcontents, surplus genders, etc. Slave trading on a world wide scale.

With HAARP and the chemtrailing, droughts, famine, relocation, will become a way of life for those not in control, meaning 99% of all of us.

Just be a matter of when they need a crisis to deflect attention from something they did or as make work, etc. just to keep the population busy. A way to keep the economy afloat via destruction, redristribution and rebuilding.
"They" have been doing this for a very very long time. Set up a time line for 300 years just in America, then add the immigration waves, the crashing of the economy(depressions, stock crashes), war, pandemic after, massive new immigrant wave, rebuilding faze. When you put it on paper it almost looks like a musical cadence they follow.

And it is ALL manufactured conflict... ALL.

You can do this with almost any sizeable nation.

It is ALL manufactured conflict. Agreed!!! This turmoil we are living through today is no accident.
Brandon
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion