Man survives car accident only to be fatally shot by cops

Comments and questions

Man survives car accident only to be fatally shot by cops

Postby Brandon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:45 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/ferrell-kerrick-police-unarmed-shooting-charlotte-191520307.html

Police officer charged in fatal shooting of unarmed man who had just survived car accident

Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News 5 hours ago

A North Carolina police officer was charged with voluntary manslaughter on Saturday after police say he fatally shot an unarmed man who had apparently just survived a car crash in Charlotte and was looking for help.

The victim, Jonathan Ferrell, a 24-year-old former Florida A&M University football player, was shot multiple times and pronounced dead at the scene early Saturday morning.

The 27-year-old officer, Randall Kerrick, was turned himself into police late Saturday. He was released on a $50,000 bond.

"The shooting of Mr. Ferrell was excessive,” the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department said in a statement. “Our investigation has shown that Officer Kerrick did not have a lawful right to discharge his weapon during this encounter.”

According to police, Ferrell crashed his vehicle into the woods, climbed out of his car and walked a half-mile to the nearest house. He began “banging on the door viciously,” Charlotte-Mecklenburg Chief Rodney Monroe said.

"It was quite possible he was seeking assistance based on his accident," Monroe said.

But the woman who answered the door thought Ferrell was a burglar and called police shortly after 2:30 a.m. to report an attempted break-in.

Kerrick and two other responding officers surrounded Ferrell, who “immediately charged” at the police, Monroe said. One officer tried unsuccessfully to subdue Ferrell with a taser. Kerrick then fired his weapon "several times."

“He immediately charged toward the three officers, one in particular," Monroe said. "That officer in particular fired his weapon several times, striking the individual multiple times."

“It’s with heavy hearts and significant regrets it’s come to this," Monroe added. "Our hearts go out to the Ferrell family and many members of the CMPD family."

According to the Charlotte Observer, police said initially that Kerrick's actions were “appropriate and lawful.” But a subsequent investigation found the officer, who joined the police department in 2011, had "violated the law regarding voluntary manslaughter." Under North Carolina law, voluntary manslaughter is defined as killing without malice using "excessive force" in exercising "imperfect self-defense," the paper said.

Monroe said there was no evidence Ferrell threatened the woman. Alcohol did not appear a factor in the crash, he added.

The two other officers involved in the incident were placed on paid administrative leave.

-----------

(11,283 Comments)

first time i HAVE EVER HEARD A POLICE DEPARTMENT say ONE THEIR OFFICERS MADE A :MISTAKE!!!

A police shooting an unarmed man = manslaughter. A private citizen shooting an unarmed man = murder. What a joke to the judicial system!

I'm not sure if I am the only one to notice, but it seems that there are an awful lot of police involved shootings that kill innocents. Who the hell is training these people to act in such a reckless manner and why am I, the tax payer, being forced to pay for these idiots that kill innocents???

why they always get a lesser sentence is beyond me police should be held to higher standards than the public!!

An Oregon state patrol officer shot and killed a 74 year old woman during a traffic stop in the deserted SW of the state. She was still in her seat belt in the car, too. He is still a cop. Ummmm..... I am old enough to remember when cops were not afraid to take a punch. Now they will shoot a person in order to avoid even the possibility of a physical altercation. And I am still stunned and wondering what threat that 74 year old woman posed that she had to be shot in her car.

Dead men do not testify.

Wait, so if we have declared a war on terror... Maybe we should change who we are at war with...

If 3 Officers can't subdue 1 man w/o deadly force, then those 3 Officers ought to find another career path.

burglars don't normally knock at your door... just sayin'.

I get the feeling I am now living in some backward country!

so he got tazed and then shot isnt that the kind of thing that we here in america wont tolerate in other countries

Why would he "charge" at the officers if he was seeking help? Sounds like a police cover up to me.

Cops are out of control in this country!!

"The shooting of Mr. Ferrell was excessive"

You friggen think?

Soldiers defend our freedom by allowing us to exist independent.

Police officers oppress us to keep us in the system.

The real motto of the police is "To protect and serve THE LAW." not to protect and serve the people.

You have to love the hyperbole in order to justify killing another unarmed man.
“banging on the door viciously,” ---- just how does one bang on a door "viciously" ??
He "charged" the officers ?
Lets see, hurt in accident, scared woman shouting God only knows what and Barney Fife and company show up. Maybe he was just trying to get some damn help.

Show me dash cam footage of him charging them and I'll believe it. $50,000 bond is a joke for MURDER, which is what this is. Police are becoming criminals on a daily basis, this country needs some major changes or all hell will be breaking loose soon.

and as punishment for lying about what really happened, the other two officers have been given indefinite paid vacation.
Close the world, txEn eht nepO.
Brandon
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion